Are you on the fence about whether or not a remanufactured engine is a good call? Understanding the differences between a rebuilt, refurbished and remanufactured engine can be challenging. Still, we’ve put our knowledge to the test to help clear up a few myths about remanufactured engines. From benefits to trustworthiness, we’ll break down various myths and realities to help you decide if a remanufactured engine is right for you.
Is a remanufactured engine a good thing?
Before we dive into what makes up a remanufactured engine, it’s important to cover what it isn’t. A Remanufactured engine is not the same thing as a rebuilt engine. While rebuilt and remanufactured engines undergo an inspection and cleaning process, remanufactured engines undergo a more intense process. Each piece of the engine is produced with precision to return it to a better condition than before. Additionally, each product has warranty coverage that meets or exceeds OEM specifications. By comparison, a rebuilt engine is not required to follow the exact OEM specifications, meaning that the quality of the engine decreases significantly and is less reliable.
A remanufactured engine can be an excellent option for your vehicle as there is a decreased wait time for availability, and you can elevate your driving experience with new features. Other benefits include:
- Cost savings
- Environmentally sustainable
- Quality control
Does a remanufactured engine mean a new engine?
While a remanufactured engine is like a new engine in an old body, it is not considered a new engine. Individual pieces are restored or created to be as close to new as possible. Remanufactured engines will last as long as a new engine, depending on maintenance, driving conditions, and the quality of the engine because they are designed to work as efficiently as a new engine.
Does an engine remanufacture reset mileage?
Mileage measures the distance travelled by the entire vehicle, not just the engine. The odometer is not connected to the engine, meaning that when a remanufactured engine is installed, it will not reset your mileage because wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle is not reset. You will increase the vehicle’s value by installing a remanufactured engine, but it won’t undo the life that it has lived so far. Keep in mind that resetting the odometer of a vehicle is illegal!
Can you trust a remanufactured engine?
The trustworthiness of a remanufactured engine depends on various factors, including the quality of the remanufacturing process, the reputation of the remanufacturer, and how well the engine is maintained after installation. Here are some considerations:
- Reputable Remanufacturer: Choose a reputable company with a history of producing high-quality remanufactured engines. Look for reviews and testimonials from customers who have purchased and used engines from the same remanufacturer.
- Quality of Parts and Workmanship: A trustworthy remanufacturer will use quality parts and employ skilled technicians during the remanufacturing process. The engine should be disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and rebuilt to meet or exceed OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) specifications.
- Warranty: Reputable remanufacturers often provide a warranty for their products, which can be a good indicator of their confidence in the quality of their work. Be sure to understand the terms and conditions of the warranty before making a decision.
- Certifications: Some remanufacturers follow industry standards and obtain certificates. For example, the Automotive Engine Rebuilders Association (AERA) provides guidelines for engine rebuilding, and a remanufacturer adhering to these standards may be considered more reliable.
- Customer Feedback: Seek feedback from other customers who have purchased remanufactured engines from the same source. Online reviews and forums can provide valuable insights into the experiences of others.
- Installation and Maintenance: Even the best-remanufactured engine can suffer if it is not installed correctly or if proper maintenance is ignored. Ensure that qualified professionals carry out the installations and that you follow the recommended maintenance schedule.
DFC Diesel has proudly earned the title of Canada’s largest diesel remanufacturing facility, with standards of excellence unmet by others. Learn about the DFC Diesel difference, or contact us for an engine quote.