Get ready to rev up your knowledge of Powerstroke engines! From its humble beginnings to unmatched upgrades and parts that make it stand out on the road, the Powerstroke engine is the perfect fit for medium and heavy-duty applications. From recreational use to long days in the field, your engine goes through the gauntlet and needs to be ready for anything.
In this blog, discover features that make Powerstroke engines stand out. See if the 6.7 Powerstroke engine is your perfect match, explore tips for extending engine life, and why DFC Diesel is your go-to for quality and warranty-backed Powerstroke engines. Buckle up for the ride as we decode the powerhouse that is the Powerstroke engine – your key to unmatched performance and reliability on the road!”
What Engines are Powerstroke?
Powerstroke diesel engines are designed and manufactured by Ford for full-size and heavy-duty trucks, such as the F-250 and F-350. Since 1994, the Powerstroke line has made waves with the 7.3 L Powerstroke engine to the more popular 6.0L Powerstroke and the 6.7L Powerstroke engine.
These engines are designed for performance, reliability, and fuel efficiency. Powerstroke engines changed the game with advanced exhaust after-treatment and selective catalytic reduction to meet emission standards. Did you know that Powerstroke engines are not exclusive to Ford trucks? They can also be found in heavy-duty vehicles manufactured by Navistar International.
Powerstroke diesel engines feature instant start glow plugs to speed up the start time, compact iron engine blocks, aluminum cylinder headings, and a piston cooling jet to extend the engine’s life. Each reman Powerstroke engine from DFC Diesel features Total Seal gapless piston rings.
What are Common Features of a Powerstroke engine?
- Turbocharging: Powerstroke engines use turbochargers to increase efficiency and power output by forcing more air into the combustion chamber.
- Direct injection: Fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber to improve atomization and combustion efficiency and can be found in every Powerstroke engine.
- High torque: The high-torque output makes Powerstroke engines well-suited for heavy-duty applications in towing and hauling due to an increased towing capacity.
- Durability: Built with heavy-duty in mind and longevity, the life expectancy of a 6.7 Powerstroke engine is lengthened due to its robust components that are built to last.
- Electronic control: Powerstroke engines apply electronic engine control that aids in performance optimization and fuel efficiency through advanced engine management systems that monitor your engine readings in real time.
Is a 6.7 Powerstroke a good engine?
6.0L Powerstroke and 6.7L Powerstroke engines are great options for medium to heavy-duty vehicles for towing and hauling applications at work or for play. Purchasing a remanufactured Powerstroke engine can be more cost-effective than replacing an entire vehicle, and you can rest easy knowing it is manufactured to the highest quality. If you are trying to choose the best Powerstroke engine for your vehicle, remember that the higher litre count doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the best option for you.
Part of what sets the 6.7L Powerstroke engine apart comes from quality parts, user satisfaction, and technology upgrades.
- Quality Parts: Powerstroke engines are favoured for their towing capacity and parts that withstand a higher torque, making them a popular choice for individuals and businesses that require a powerful engine for towing trailers, RVs, and other heavy loads.
- User Satisfaction: Many users have reported positive experiences with Power Stroke engines, praising their performance and reliability. However, it’s important to note that individual experiences can vary, and factors such as maintenance, driving conditions, and adherence to recommended service intervals can influence engine performance.
- Technology: Over the years, Ford and Powerstroke remanufacturers have introduced technological advancements and features in different generations of Powerstroke engines. This includes improvements in fuel efficiency, emissions control, and electronic engine management.
What is the life expectancy of a Powerstroke engine?
Across the board, the Powerstroke engine delivers on durability, reliability, and performance. The 7.3L Powerstroke engine is designed to last anywhere from 400,000 to 500,000 miles. Alternatively, the 6.0L Powerstroke engine is the most commonly used today, averaging 200,000 and 300,000 miles, respectively. But be warned: you can extend the life expectancy of a 6.0L Powerstroke engine with regular care and maintenance!
3 tips for extending the life expectancy of a Powerstroke engine include:
- Consistent oil change intervals: Changing your engine oil at the 5,000-mile mark (10,000 km) will allow you to spot issues early and prevent possible damage from contaminated oil. If your engine oil is dirty or sludge-like, oil that passes through the high-pressure oil pump can damage the fuel injectors and risk locking up your engine.
- Changing the fuel filter: For such a small part, your fuel filter is part of the powerhouse keeping your engine operating as it should. Over time, the fuel filter will break down and allow more contaminants to enter the engine system. Regular inspections and maintenance to swap out the fuel filter can reduce damage and ensure your engine runs smoothly daily.
- Upgrading parts during inspections: There is always room to improve your engine to get the most out of it. You can make waves through minor upgrades to head gaskets, studs, and install a cooler kit to reduce part breakdowns. Our technicians at DFC Diesel can help you find the right engine upgrades for your work needs.
Purchase a Powerstroke Engine from DFC Diesel
At DFC Diesel, we take pride in offering the highest quality 6.0 Powerstroke engine. This is why we can back our engines with a 5-year, 160,000 km warranty that we stand behind. Our engines have been re-manufactured to factory specs using all new industry-recognized name-brand parts that meet and exceed OEM specifications. The block has been professionally machined and bored for use with the next oversized piston.
All New OEM or equivalent pistons, rings, and gaskets are used to ensure the quality and consistency of our engines. Our Re-manufactured Cylinder Heads have all new seats, guides, valves, and stem seals, as well as being resurfaced and magnafluxed. Our 6.0 L, 6.4 L and 6.7 Powerstroke engines are available in our street series, tow/haul series, and the tow/haul HD series.
Are you ready to take the plunge on a new remanufactured Powerstroke engine? Our team is here to help you find the best engine for your needs. Contact us today for a quote, or find a dealer near you to purchase an engine!